Well, I may be revealing myself as a total freak with this post, but I truly think bacon is a force--of love, joy, comfort, friendship and community. But like the Force, it has a light side and a dark side. The light side revels in indulgence without a care in the world! The dark side is of guilt, heart disease and zits. So that's why I created my crochet BLT with two different faces--a happy one and a dark one.
I love crocheting food. I love the utter uselessness of this object. Even stuffed animals are somewhat useful--you can cuddle them, playact or display them proudly in a glass case (for those QVC types, that is). This BLT just sits there, perfectly useless; the most you can do with it is mime eating it--which is rather fun.
Here's my pattern--for projects like this I usually use washable acrylic craft yarn, or whatever's laying around, with my trusty pink metal 2.75 mm crochet hook. For bacon, I used a rusty orangey brown color and a light beige for the fatty bits. Inserting the wire is optional, depending on your desire for bacon shape variability.
Bread (you'll need 4 of these):
- ch22, sc for 3.5 inches.
- After 3.5 inches, sc in first 11 st, turn work
- dec 1, sc 9, dec 1, turn work
- continue until you have five st left in your row.
- sc all the way across, bind off.
- insert hook in second set of 11 sc, repeat decreases as above, bind off.
- ch 4, sc in each row until it fits all the way around your bread, measure as you go.
- Sew on eyes and stitch on mouth with embroidery thread and needle.
- Line up two white halves, attach crust to one side of your bread.
- Fill loosely with poly-fill
- Attach other side of the bread.
- ch 30, sc all the way across.
- join darker color, repeat
- join lighter color, repeat
- join darker color, 2 dc in each st, bind off.
- insert flower wire into the middle of each piece, so that you can form it in the shape you want.
- ch 5, join to make a circle with sl st.
- ch 2, 2 sc in each st
- ch 2, yo, pull up 2 puffy stitches
- pull through, ch 3, skip 2 st
- yo, pull up 2 puffies
- pull through, ch 3, sk 2, repeat until you reach your desired size, connect with sl st.
- ch 6, join with sl st.
- sc in each st once around
- 2 sc in each st. once around
- dc in each st. for 4 rings
- 2 dc in each st, repeat until desired size is reached, connect with sl st.