Friday, July 13, 2007

Twinkle Twinkle


Okay, I'm not usually one for knitting sweaters. In fact, I find knitting anything other than squares and rectangles a little challenging; my hats often turn out bulbous and uneven, but wearable nonetheless. But I was in So Much Yarn in Belltown yesterday and was absolutely enchanted by this book by Wenlan Chia, a Taiwanese fashion designer (check out Wenlan's Fall 07 collection here) turned knitter extraordinare. Twinkle's Big City Knits seriously made me want to make a sweater, even in 97 degree heat, people! The photography is beautiful and, okay, I wouldn't want to make EVERY pattern in there, but it's just head and shoulders above some of the other outdated ugly patterns in the knitting world (you know what I'm talking about). The sweaters are made of chunky yarn that don't take forever to knit up, so when you make a mistake --that's when, not if--you don't have to curse yourself and rip up the whole thing. I'm in love with the mohair shrug and Balthazar vest. So if you're a new knitter and want to get started now so you'll have something to wear in time for fall, you can get it here on Amazon.

No comments: